Sunday, January 08, 2006

Dutch Reformed Church

Dutch Reformed Church, Fishkill, New York


I went to elementary school across the street from this church. The church housed prisoners of war during the American Revolution including counterespionage agent, Enoch Crosby. Between September 1776 and February 1777, it served as the seat of state government when the British forced the New York Provincial Congress out of New York City and White Plains. The graveyard there is has one of the finest collections of early American folk art in the form of tombstone engravings.

I remember going there as a class trip to collect rubbings from the tombstones. All I can recall is the walk there, shuffling past the Fishkill Plate Glass company (still there) and it's wide open doors and noisy machinery. I remember the church's ominous, squeaking wrought iron gate and the crooked old tombstones. Not a terribly fun place for kids.

2 Comments:

At 10:49 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I lived across from this church for many years and my parents still do. I also remember going to the church for a class trip as I am also a Fishkill Frog Alumni! When did you go to school there?

 
At 11:10 AM, Blogger CarolynT said...

Hi! I think I rang the graduation bell at Fishkill Elem. in June 1978. Mr. Stephen Perks was my 6th grade teacher. One of the best, in my opinion.

When did you go there/

Thanks for dropping by fellow Fishkill Frogger!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home