Saturday, July 02, 2005

About Postcards from the Woods

I started this blog on a friend's suggestion that I have a place to share my photos and writings. It's been almost a year now and I'm glad I put aside the time to focus on my thoughts and pictures and share them with you, the few, the loyal twelve fans of the Woods. ;-) Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

The title came from a daydream I had about a favorite writer/artist who said he was never unhappy while spending time in the woods. I pictured him walking through the wilderness, mostly self-sufficient, only popping out long enough to mail a hand-written letter or a postcard...from the woods. I loved the image: a mailbox on the edge of the forest...the postman visiting regularly to pick up the mail from the unknown author walking the forest.

The photos shared here and mostly of things, places, people near here. Here being Dutchess County, NY. Hudson Valley photos, mostly. I hope it provides a glimpse, a snapshot of what things are like, right now, around here.

My focus lately has been on photographing local farms. Many are at risk of being bought out by developers who plan enormous housing developments. I have about 15 local farms photographed, in various seasons and states of development.

Aside from the issues of over-crowding, loss of open space and environmental impact, the mass development is kind of sad. I've grown up here, my kids are growing up here and maybe their kids will, too. I just want the same or as close to the same environment for them as I had. I think about the banks of the Hudson River when I was in college. All you saw were trees on the western bank. Now, one by one, houses are popping up over there. First the trees go down, then the rock is blasted, then the well is drilled and finally the framing goes up. Not quite the scene that the Hudson River School painters would've enjoyed painting, perhaps.

Once a farm turns into a housing development, it's not turning back. I've never seen them plow under a neighborhood to grow apples.

In between the farm pictures, and OK, the boring shots of my garden, I'll share some random thoughts, peeves, joys or challenges from the Woods which, hopefully, you'll find amusing, informative or simply bordering on the insane. Then you'll know what its truly like...in the Woods. = )

Comments & criticisms are welcome anytime!

-Carolyn

"I think it is just as important to bring to people the evidence of the beauty of the world of nature and of man as it is to give them a document of ugliness, squalor and despair." - Ansel Adams

Camera equipment: Lame! = ) Until I can afford the Digital SLR, I'm using Kodak's EasyShare DX7630 and DX4330.

3 Comments:

At 11:38 PM, Blogger Bonj said...

Even though I am still very much an amateur, I think of better equipment as well. I recently upgraded a bit to a Sony Cybershot DSC-H1. I have been wanting the extra zoom for taking photos of the kids sports. It is probably more camera than my capabilities, but dream of stepping up to a full blown digital SLR someday anyway. I do realize that it is not always about the equipment though. You state that your equipment is lame, but from the looks of the photos it does not appear that the photographer is.

 
At 1:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I grew up in upstate NY (Stormville) and had a wonderful life there. I moved when I was 14 to Endicott and then when I was 28 to Austin, TX ... where I live now. I wish my kids could have experienced life growing up in a small town. I'm thoroughly enjoying your photos ... thanks for sharing ... brings back great memories for me!
Donna in Austin, TX

 
At 11:24 PM, Blogger CarolynT said...

Thanks anonymous in Austin! I'm often walking up on Stormville Mt., near the Adirondack Trail. It's one of my favorite spots. If you ever see a photo you'd like a copy of, let me know. I can get you a copy at a reasonable price. Cheaper for hometown fans...

;-)


Hey, Bonj! I don't know why I never saw this post! But thanks! I remember some photographer saying, "Just know your equipment and do the best you can with it..." I like that idea...but I *still* want a Dig. SLR!

A friend of mine used to use his extra zoom lens to take pics of Little Leaguers and Pop-Warner football players for their parents. He'd take photos of the kids whose parents signed up at the beginning of a Saturday game. Then he'd upload them every quarter/inning, then show them the proofs. If they liked it, they bought. And he charged a lot for the service. If I wasn't so busy, I'd try it. I bet you'd be good at it!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home