Wednesday, June 08, 2005

Festival of Cultures

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Dennis Rogers, Navajo Hoop Dancer

Didn't get picked to be a chaperone for my son's field trip today, so I decided I'd just crash anyway! The "Festival of Cultures" by Green Meadows Productions is designed specifically with children in mind. All of the shows engage the students in their songs and dances and challenge their knowledge of the cultural information being presented to them.

It was quite an entertaining show, even for the adults. And with the near 90 degree heat today, I think I might have lost a few pounds during the Native American dance everyone joined in. Clearly, the leader of the dance is an aerobics instructor in his spare time. Great fun though.

Here's a few shots from today's show.

(The picture above: This was a wonderful Navajo "hoop dancer" in the Native American show. The hoops represent the circle of life. As he danced, he would interlock the hoops, working them around his body while dancing to the rhythmic drumming, forming different creatures and life entities with them. The earth, sunflower, a ladybug, butterfly and my favorite, the eagle. It was an amazing presentation. I found him, and his hoops, in the shade between shows. People were wilting in the heat and he seemed unfazed. I was struck by his face, the eternal calm and peace he seemed to have, just smiling there in the shade. Maybe he was enjoying the children running around. Or maybe he was pleased with his dance. I don't know what he was thinking, but he had a great smile.

When I asked to take his picture, he put the rings around his neck and shoulders and rested his hands in them. His hands were also striking in their strength and unity with the hoops. I wish I spent some time with him asking questions but I had to catch up with my son's group, that... and...I got shy all of a sudden! lol...

(I liked the pic so much, I tried it in black & white...click to enlarge)


The Aztec Indian dancer with full headdress. A very funny guy (and great dancer) who tried to convince us that his people invented the Mocha-Latte-Frappucino! = ) Here he is in a more serious moment...
Image hosted by Photobucket.com


(click to enlarge each photo)
(or view more photos in the slideshow)








Related posts: "What's In A Name" & "Black & White"

15 Comments:

At 10:50 PM, Blogger Arevanye said...

Wow, looks like so much fun! But is that a snake??? Ewww...not my thing.

Your pics are lovely and so colorful. Can't imagine wearing those costumes in this heat though.

Our school had Field Day today. Can you imagine? Kids running relay races and other stuff in 93 degree heat. By the end of the day, everyone was wilting!

 
At 10:42 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Faantastic pics - I LOVE that one of the back of the costume (the feathers.)

What a fun day!

 
At 12:28 PM, Blogger CarolynT said...

It was fun and HOT! I mean HOT!!! I kept pouring water on my head, under my hat to stay cool. Worried mother that I was, I considered leaving the whole 24pk of water bottles I had just bought at the store with the bus driver...just in case any kids were melting down. Alas..they had their own!

My son actually took a NAP after he got home. He hasn't napped since he was three!

Field day is next week here...whew.

 
At 12:29 PM, Blogger CarolynT said...

= ) The costumes were amazing. They only had school field trips there, I wish they had opened it up to the general public. They missed a great show.

I added captions to the photos in the slideshow, btw.

 
At 4:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oh my what wonderful photos!!! What a festive event, that looks like something I would love to go to, minus the heat..

 
At 10:22 AM, Blogger CarolynT said...

Thanks! = ) It's too bad it was so hot. The kids kind of lost steam towards the end and missed the Polynesian show. It was all the way at the far end of the complex. They opted for shade instead. I like your blog...you garden looks lovely! That's a cool "photo album" slideshow option on MSN.

 
At 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love to be outdoors, especially when my kids aren't whining about the heat.. My kids would have been out an hour and start complaining they want to go where the A/C is..

 
At 9:21 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I hope it is okay to add you on my blog list..

 
At 3:04 PM, Blogger CarolynT said...

Yes, absolutely! And thanks for the comments! Looking forward to talking with you more! = )

 
At 2:56 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"THANK YOU" all for takeing time out of your day to post a comment about the "Festival of Cultures". My name is Dennis Rogers/Navajo &I am the Native American Hoop-Dancer. I want to express my gratitude for your kind words and to ALL those who attended our events ALL across the U.S.A. The Festival is dedicated to the personal enrichments of our future generations and values. If anyone would like more information I can be contacted at www.dennisleerogers.com or www.dennisleerogers@hotmail.com Thanks again for ALL your support. In Spirit...peace~Navajo Hoop-Dancer

 
At 8:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank You very much I am the Afrikan drummer Komoyaka you pictured keep sharing the culture it helps us all grow in positive ways God Bless us all

 
At 12:43 PM, Blogger CarolynT said...

Welcome, Komoyaka King! I greatly enjoyed your program at the Festival! I will keep spreading the culture! Thanks for stopping by!

 
At 3:22 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings to All: On Sept.9,2005 I was Honored to be apart of the Launch of the Kansas States Quarter. KS is the 34th State admitted into the Union. I spoke of the 12 counties(Out of 105) that are named after a Native American Tribe. Our State animal is the Bison. It appears on the back of the quarter. I did an Honor Dance in FULL EAGLE feather regalia, to commerate the event. Our Governor was on hand to do the unvailing Honors & presented me with my 1st un-circulated Quarter. It was an Honor to represent the Native American community of Kansas.In Spirit...peace~Dennis Rogers Navajo/SpiritDancer

 
At 10:24 AM, Blogger CarolynT said...

Hi, Dennis! Thanks for the update! What an honor for you! If you have any photos from the event, share them and I'll post them. Be well!

-Carolyn

 
At 1:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Greetings from S.Florida;Well,as you all can tell by the times that I post my messages that I'am a night person. I'am currently on tour ALL across our great nation & receiently showcased with 2 time Na.Am.Grammy winner,Mary Youngblood. She is a powerful yet humble performer.I've alo had the privilage to perform wit Na. Am. Artist of the Year. Arvel Bird. What a great year I've had. Enjoy~

 

Post a Comment

<< Home