Friday, September 30, 2005

Maya Cafe

Maya Cafe & Cantina, Route 9, Fishkill, 845-896-4042
Cafe Maya, Route 9 Cold Spring, 845-265-4636

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

My favorite local Mexican restaurant, Cafe Maya, finally moved to its new larger, mucho closer location in the former Moog's Bar across from the former Dutchess Mall, and changed the name to Maya Cafe & Cantina. The walls are filled with hand-painted Mexican murals, pottery and colorful fabrics. The tables and booths are simple and spacious. I might drop in and give him this photo of the gerber daisy. It was on the table there at lunch.

I had a terrific cheese chile relleno, filled with creamy queso blanco cheese, fried to perfection in an egg batter and served with a red enchilada sauce and the standard sides of rice, refried beans and guacamole. My friend had the sour cream chicken enchiladas and the sauce was creamy and well-seasoned. Our other guest had the Cochinita Pibil, a Yucatan seasoned pork served with traditional pickled red onion and tortillas. The steak tacos are tasty topped with fresh pico de gallo.

At previous visits to the much more intimate and diner-like (and BYOB)Cold Spring restaurant, I've had terrific grilled flank steak dishes, chicken dishes with freshly made tomatillo sauces and various appetizers. All the meals have such wonderful, authentic flavors and seasonings. The guacamole I ordered there was handmade in front of me in an authentic pig-shaped mortar bowl. Pinch of this, handful of that and it was perfect!

The owner, Luis Pinto is busy in the restaurant seating and greeting people, serving the meals and being a wonderful host. He welcomes you as if you were a guest at his house. A great place for business lunches and a terrific family restaurant.


Image hosted by Photobucket.com

5 Comments:

At 2:39 AM, Blogger Aravis said...

I love the contrasting colors in this photo!

 
At 6:12 PM, Blogger CarolynT said...

Thanks! I only wish I had slid the plastic stem supporter down out of the frame. I was afraid I'd injure the flower (or that the manager would see me...lol).

 
At 12:44 PM, Blogger CarolynT said...

Thanks! I'm glad you like it! I plan to print one up for him...he's such a nice guy! You can tell him I listed his site next time you see him! = )

 
At 12:16 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When it comes to Mexican food in New York State, one of the best dining experiences I've ever had. The place was recommended by the hotel where my husband and I were staying. The place was buzzing, but not crowded. We were seated right away and I stared with a Mojito. The libation could have used a bit more sugar and mint. My husband's Corona beer was perfect. Our waitress was atttentive and took our order within minutes. The food arrived hot and plentyfull. The flavors exploded in our mouths. My husband chose the Poc-Chuc, a combo of pork chop and Chorizo. Great flavor combination, I chose the Cochinita Pibil. A dish made with pork loin, simmered in orange juice and mexican spices, cooked on a plantain leaf. I have tried the dish before at a restaurant in Las Vega. This one took it to a whole different level! We made room for dessert, traditional flan, thouhg we adorned it with a scoop of vanilla ice cream. We enjoyed live music by Mr. Gregorio, an Argentinian gentleman who, with his spanish guitar and great voice, made a mark with the hispanic patrons at the restaurant, ourselves included. If you are looking for authentic mexican fare and flavor, this is the place for you.

 
At 12:03 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maya Café has become a favorite for our family. The restaurant has a traditional Mexican look and feel to it. We love that it is a large and open dinning room setup so even when all the tables are full you don’t feel crowed. Every dish we have tried has been excellent and reasonably priced. As well as the traditional Mexican dishes of tacos and burritos there are many nonstandard Mexican dishes that make the menu interesting every time we go. The meal portions even satisfy the hearty appetites of my 6’+ teenage sons. The service has always been excellent even when the place is full. On Saturday evenings we love the strolling guitar player/singer which adds to the Spanish atmosphere. I totally agree with the 5 star rating.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home