Monday, August 29, 2005

End of summer recipe

My beefsteak and patio tomatoes are all but gone, but those tiny, tender sweet grape tomatoes keep on coming! I threw together a great pasta last night with the last sprigs of basil from the deck, some fresh spinach from the refrig. and a handful of herbs from my garden pot outside the door. For extra flavor, I added a few slices of chopped bacon, garlic and shallots...it turned out to be a keeper!

1/2 pound spaghetti, cooked al dente
giant handful of grape tomatoes, sliced in half
2 slices of bacon, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 piece of shallot, minced
five fresh basil leaves, torn into piece
handful of fresh spinach
salt & pepper
3 Tbl extra virgin olive oil
2 Tbl grated cheese (I like pecorino romano)

While boiling the pasta...

In a large non-stick saute pan, saute bacon over low-medium heat until just turning brown on edges. (You can remove a Tablespoon of bacon fat if you think it's too much saturate bacon fat). Add olive oil & garlic & shallots. Cook one minute then add the tomatoes. Raise heat to medium and cook until tomatoes are turning saucy (no more than 5 minutes). Add basil, salt & pepper to taste and fresh spinach. Mix well, taste again, then add cooked pasta to the pan. Add cheese and toss to coat. Serve with tossed salad.

2 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi, just came across your blog. I enjoyed it ...most informative.

I've been reviewing other blogs and I book marking the standouts.

Well, needless to say, I have bookmarked your blog.

I also write a blawg. Actually, it's more of a collection of Internet
Tech tips/observations to inform legal (actually most regular sites as well) web site owners how to achieve improved search engine standings while avoiding the many Internet scams.

My blawg legal
advice library
site. is still very much a work in progress.
My legal directorySan Francisco lawyers - attorneys Directory site is the newer of our 15 legal directory sites that cover California, Texas and Las Vegas.

Please visit and check them out if you have the time

MORE IMPORTANTLY . . .I have been watching the news about Hurricane Katrina as I am sure you have been too. My heart goes out to these people and I pray they get the assitance they need as fast as humanly possible.

What makes me sick are the emails I have been receiving over the past few days from people "claiming" to help. Maybe they are sincere maybe not. I don't know.

-------------------------------------------------------------
If You Want To Help The Hurricane Efforts
-------------------------------------------------------------

Here's two links to legitimate organizations to donate you money to if you want to help.

FEMA - http://www.fema.gov
Red Cross - http://www.redcross.org


Feel free to pass this message on to someone else.

Help someone and donate what you can today.

 
At 10:15 PM, Blogger Arevanye said...

The recipe looks really wonderful. Wow! All those tomatoes just from today? I think we're done with most of ours here--I cooked down a potful into sauce this morning and froze it. I love those little pear-shaped tomatoes.

Oh, and you might want to turn on your word verification feature--looks like you got comment spammed.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home