Wednesday, March 23, 2005

TV and eggplant parmigiana

Ok, this is how much of NOTHING there is in my life in March. I'm going to write about tv and food. I don't blame you for clicking "next blog."

There was a time in my life when I used to watch tv. I used to. I know I did because I remember shows like ER and ...and...ok, I had just one show, but at least I watched that one regularly. And I remember when I stopped watching. It was December 1995, just a few short weeks before my son was born.

ER was on and we had friends over for dinner. We all sat in the living room and watched. I was the only one of our (then) large circle of friends who was close to "the kid years." I sat uncomfortable in my chair, not because of my condition but rather the condition of the character on ER. It was that awful early ER episode where they lost the mother in baby delivery in the ER and at the end, the father was shown rocking his newborn child in tears because the mother died.

Needless to say, this upset me and my husband and just about everyone in the room. We turned the subject, and the channel, to things much lighter.

Then my son was born a few weeks later and I didn't have time for tv anymore. Well, at first I did. I remember the first weeks when I was home with him. He'd sleep and I'd watch the great old shows like Columbo and Cagney & Lacey and Mary Tyler Moore and M*A*S*H*.

Honestly, that's the last time I remember watching actual shows. Sad, isn't it, that the shows I watched were already 10-20 years old at the time? I just didn't find any show as cool as my son. = )

Nowadays I have more time to watch but I haven't found anything of interest. West Wing is good, Everyone Loves Raymond makes me chuckle, but aside from live sports and news (and ok, the Food Network), I don't watch.

I don't like "reality" tv. What's realistic about seeing who will eat the most bugs? When does that come up in real life? I don't get off on seeing bad singers get bashed by supposed stars that I don't know. I can't believe American Idol's mis-broadcast phone numbers got so much press.

What's outside is much more real to me. I'd rather get out into the woods or where real people gather than sit inside and watch someone else supposedly "living." But that's just me. And we know I'm out there already.

For some reason, I took pictures of the eggplant parm-making process.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home