Sunday, October 23, 2005

Country Roads






A few shots from a country road near my home. I love these old barns. I like to peek in and see how they're made, see the joinery and the big, old wood beams. These are, literally, on their last legs, but they're still fun to look at. They certainly don't make them like that anymore.

I did some research on them and...I found nothing. But...I did find out that in 1777, General Gates marched Burgoyne's defeated British troops nearby this road on their way to the Hudson River. And...on another nearby farm, where I used to shop when it was a farm market (now it's a high-end furniture store), produced the four largest beef cattle ever raised on an American farm, the smallest, more than 3,300 lbs (an average today is about 1,225 lbs). When slaughtered they were mounted for display in the museum in New York City’s Central Park in 1870. And... at the nearby Trinity United Methodist church, where my kids went to bible camp this summer, built 1863, is a burial ground, and there lies Dr. George Huntington (1850-1916), the physician who identified Huntington’s Disease.

I love history that's not too far out your front door. There's another historic house nearby that I might have to make an appointment to see. Old Dr. Fink's farm and the Little Red Schoolhouse...sounds like there's a story there, doesn't it?

1 Comments:

At 9:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I too, love old barns. They're so textural and seem to retain so much energy.

I am also a fan of historic places. I love to think about the events that occured there. They to, also retain tons of energy - so much so, that they fell alive themselves.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home