Thursday, October 20, 2005

Locust Grove

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Image hosted by Photobucket.com

Had a nice lunch at Locust Grove, Samuel F. Morse's place in Poughkeepsie. Their gardens still have flowering dahlias and mums and the bees looked frantic on the drooping flower branches. I caught a ladybug taking shelter inside a giant dahlia...I hope she finds better shelter than that!

Took a book and camped out on one of the best benches this side of the Hudson River. I like the fact that this place has been here since the 1770's. Two school tour groups came by on the path and as I eavesdropped, I heard one teacher say that Mrs. Morse, Sarah Elizabeth Griswold, used to take her tea every day in the upper room of the mansion, enjoying the commanding view of the Hudson River. That was my view! Love that. Ok, I had Snapple iced tea, not real, but still. That's something...historic.

Related posts:

More from the Morse House

Locust Grove

3 Comments:

At 7:35 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautiful dahilas!!!!!

 
At 9:32 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Those dahlias are something else!

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger CarolynT said...

The dahlias were giant! That photo is taken almost at eye level! I never saw them so tall before. Definitely looking for those next spring.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home